Girls Bowling haas Successful Season

Casey Graver, Staffer

LOHS debuted a new sport this Winter with girls bowling.   In the first year of the sport, the numbers and performances of the girls exceeded all expectations.  The 59 girls practiced twice a week from late November until mid February, with multiple scrimmages against other squads around the state.  The team had seven different groups within it, with numbers ranging from 7-8 girls in each team.  

One of the groups made it to the state tournament held in Salem.  One of the girls on the state tournament team, Alicia Lopez, said, “We did really well for a first year team and were consistent throughout the tournament.”  The squad was compiled with Seniors: Lopez and Lainey Chi and Sophomores: Ashley Heffernan, Rylee Winn, Maddie Nickens, and Revati Iyer. The team placed eleventh out of sixteen teams at the state tournament. 

When asked what she thought about her experience this year, Lopez said, “I am very glad that I went out for bowling because it was super fun and different compared to any other sport I have played.”  Even though there are only two tournaments in the year, the girls stay busy with practices and scrimmages all winter long. Lopez said the girls “improved a lot from the beginning of the season.” 

Congratulations to a great season, girls!