Local Black owned restaurants to support
June 3, 2020
Riots and unrest in America have been a long time coming. The Black Lives Movement has been ramping up support over the recent death of George Floydㄧnot to mention the endless injustice and police brutality that has been happening for centuries. It is easy to be completely overwhelmed by petitions and fundraisers out there, but one incredibly simple way you can support your local community is by supporting local Black restaurants.
Of course, I implore that you tune in to the news and sign petitions and donate what you can, but remember that the economic struggle that Black Americans disproportionately feel during this pandemic along with the racial tensions rising up to the surface are all part of the system racism that has been here since the founding of this country. We have to, with all of our privileges, do everything we can to reform and support.
You can broaden your taste buds and assist the community by ordering out at these following restaurants. This list was created by @mykaelrodarte on Instagram and added to by commenters.
- 42nd Ave Fish & Chips (5302 NE 42nd Ave)
- Akadi PDX (3601 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd)
- A Taste of Soul (1331 N Killingsworth St)
- Bole Ethiopian Restaurant (915 NE Alberta St)
- Cannon’s Rib Express (3625 NE MLK Jr Blvd)
- Caribbean Spice – Grocer (4516 NE 42nd Ave)
- Carson’s Fine Meats (5015 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd)
- Catfish Lane (8145 SE 82nd St)
- DB Dessert Company (6824 NE Glisan St)
- Deadstock Coffee Roasters (408 NW Couch St, Suite 408)
- Dirty Lettuce (5240 NE 42nd Ave)
- Dub’s St. Johns (8727 N Lombard S)
- Elevated Coffee (5261 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd)
- Enat Kitchen (300 N Killingsworth St)
- Enjoni Cafe (910 N Killingsworth St)
- Everybody Eats PDX (17120 SE Powell Blvd)
- Fish Fusion (5800 NE MLK Jr Blvd)
- Hana’s New Orleans Snowballs & More (N Ainsworth & N MLK Jr Blvd)
- Hayat Somali Restaurant (16755 SW Baseline Rd Beaverton, OR)
- Jamaican Homestyle Cuisine (441 N Killingsworth St)
- Ja’das Soulful Eatz (7339 NE Martin Luther King Jr)
- Kabba’s Kitchen (3625 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd)
- Kee’s Loaded Kitchen (3625 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd) – Closed until 5 June 2020
- Mama Pauline’s Market (4606 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd)
- Merkato Ethiopian Music & Food Store (2605 NE MLK Jr Blvd)
- Plant Based Papi ([email protected])
- Po’Shines Cafe De La Soul (8139 N Denver Ave)
- Queen of Sheba Restaurant (2413 NE MLK Jr Blvd)
- Reo’s Ribs (4211 NE Sandy Blvd)
- Sengatera Ethiopian Restaurant (3833 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd)
- Sisters Ethiopian Restaurant (1720 SE 122nd Ave)
- Spice of Africa (Order on their website: www.spiceofafrica.com)
- Steakadelphia (5835 SE Powell Blvd)
- The Spicy Spoon (3540 N Mississippi Ave)
- Trap Kitchen (8523 SE Stark St)
- V’s Soul Food Shack (NE 60th Ave) – Temporarily Closed
- Yaad Style Jamaican Cuisine (3532 NE MLK Jr Blvd)
If you need more suggestions, go to their post on Instagram for many, many comments supporting these businesses (https://www.instagram.com/p/CA4N7ebjRcA/). You can also download the black founded app EatOkra for a convenient and easy way of finding more Black-owned restaurants in Portland.
You should also donate what you can.
- PDX Protest Bail Fund: https://www.gofundme.com/f/pdx-protest-bail-fund
- Don’t Shoot PDX (Social Justice Non-Profit): https://www.linktr.ee/dontshootportland
- Donate to the movement: http://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co
As a community with privilege, especially socioeconomic, we have to be doing every single thing we can to help and change. Even if that simply starts with an order.