Girls basketball persists despite challenges

Gianna La Fond, Staffer

As the Lake Oswego girls basketball approaches halfway through the winter season,  motivation is at an all time high. With games against Canby and Oregon City to look forward to, the team is excited to see how they can perform. 

Although things such as Covid protocols are constantly changing, their optimism about not only their future performance, but spectators is high. Throughout most of the season they have had to play without an audience, which leads to diminished morale at games, however, it was recently announced that limited spectators are allowed at games. This change in protocol reflects a positive future for not only basketball but all sports at LO.

Outside of the court girls basketball works hard to create a positive team environment, often doing team bonding. Sophomore Riley Ha has been a member of LOHS girls basketball and is currently starting on varsity. In an interview she mentioned how they do bonding with and without the coaches “we do Saturday morning breakfast with the team and then do team dinners with the coaches.” Creating a team environment with and without the coaches makes teamwork on the court easier. 

One of the troubles that girls basketball faces is games within the Three Rivers League, outside of the league the team has won  a large majority  of their games, however, that isn’t reflected within the league. Ha commented on this mentioning how their goal is to improve in the league. 

As the season progresses, girls basketball has challenges ahead of them, but nevertheless are excited and optimistic about their goals!