LO HOSA looks towards nationals after state success

Mark Williams, Editor-in-Chief

On March 11, 2022 Lake Oswego students competed in the Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) State Tournament and won several awards. The HOSA club in Lake Oswego is run by juniors Kyla Zhang and Deeya Arora and advised by LOHS science teacher Amy McNeely. The HOSA State Championships took place on March 11 in person in Portland.

At the HOSA state championship several teams and individuals placed highly including juniors  Sophie Feng and Zhang who both placed in the top five for the Nutrition category with Zhang taking first in the event. The creative problem solving team of sophomores Johnathan Xu, Phillip Rha and Joonseo Lee placed second.

The placing members of HOSA will have the opportunity to attend nationals in Nashville, Tennessee in June. The HOSA team hopes to place at internationals as several of their members advance to internationals including the creative problem solving team as well as Kyla Zhang competing for the Nutrition event. 

“It’s a new place so it’ll be fun to go” stated Zhang, “it’s a completely new experience and it’ll be cool to be one of the first to experience it at our school.”  Zhang plans to continue the club into next year to give the opportunity to more students saying, “It feels very fulfilling for me because after creating this club and it’s our first it’s rewarding to know I’ve made a difference with people and their high school experience.”