Lake Oswego High band heads towards state

Sophie Parks, Staffer

Lake Oswego High School’s Wind Ensemble recently performed at the Three Rivers League Competition where they were ranked third. Playing at the highest level in the high school, the Wind Ensemble performed the songs Havendance, Shine and Canterbury Chorale, all directed by Kevin Rouse. The band also participated in sight reading where they were judged after seven minutes to read through and play the new music. Their competition was evaluated by three separate judges who determined whether or not they received a qualifying score to state. Lake Oswego competed against seven other schools, finishing third. The band has previously won the Clackamas Community College Competition where they received a state qualifying score. 

In an interview with senior bassoon player, Emma Cory, she reflected that “the competition wasn’t our best performance because it didn’t feel as connected compared to previous competitions.” Cory emphasized that “we had a tough competition but my favorite part about playing in front of judges is when you play a hard section really well.”

Lake Oswego Band has been placed into a group of other schools who have not yet qualified for state. If LO receives a high enough score, they will next move on to state. As of April 19, they are headed towards state.