Laker Offense finally finds its rhythm as Lakers win big over McMinnville

Senior Brodae Sutherland lifts fellow senior Calvin Macy (6) after he scored a touchdown.

Owen Alles, Sports Editor

On Friday, Sept.. 23, the 2-1 Lakers traveled south to battle with the 2-1 McMinnville Grizzlies. The Lakers won, beating the Grizzlies 42-12. The Lakers gained control in the second quarter, after a new starting quarterback was inserted into the lineup, finally giving the offense the punch it was lacking. This combined with the defense maintaining its steady, solid form, along with a few special teams miscues from the Grizzlies, was enough for the Lakers to put the Grizzlies away. 

Defensively, the Lakers were making plays all night long. Junior Tobia Tagliabue continued his strong 2022 campaign as he forced and recovered a fumble to go along with four tackles. Sophomore Luciano Lopez was all over the field, recording a sack and leading the team with five tackles. Senior Jack Knapp also made his presence felt with 4 tackles and Junior Nolan Rabb pitched in with a tackle for loss. 

Offensively the Lakers finally found their stride. Sophomore quarterback Liam Davis replaced incumbent starter Max Brauner towards the end of the first quarter and made everyone watching question why he was ever on the bench. Davis’s ability as a runner gives a new dimension to the Laker offense. He scrambled seven times for 91 yards and a pair of touchdowns to go along with 78 passing yards and a touchdown through the air. The Lakers also pulled out their first real trick play of the season when senior wide receiver Stevie Mooney caught a lateral and then chucked it deep to fellow senior wideout Ethan Park for a 52 yard touchdown. Senior running back Calvin Macy continued his solid season with 10 carries for 81 yards and a touchdown of his own and junior running back Zavier Russell returned from injury to score his first touchdown in a Laker uniform. 

The Laker offense seems as if it has finally come around and the team seems to have gained a bit of momentum. The Lakers moved to 3-1 and up to ninth in the OSAA standings. The Lakers will open league play next week with a tough test when they travel to West Linn to take on the third ranked Lions.