The LOHS swim team is ready for another successful season

Members of the LOHS swim team in starting position, ready for their race to begin.

Owen Alles, Sports Editor

As winter sports kick into gear, students should not overlook the LOHS swim team. The Laker Swim team has had a long standing tradition of camaraderie and exceptional results. For proof of this look no further than last year’s boys team who won the 6A OSAA State title. 

The reigning champs started the 2022 season off the same way they ended the last one, with a win. They took down the West Salem Titans by a score of 109-61 in their first meet of the year, a great way to kick off their bid for a championship repeat. This season, the boys team is led by their three senior captains: Jonathan Bell, William Thistlewaite and Jiyu Yang. 

Just because the boys are successful, that doesn’t mean one should overlook the Lake Oswego girls team this year. Led by senior captain and Towson University commit Dylan Gustaff, the girls swim team should be very competitive as well. Gustaff says, “I hope to place top three again at state and hopefully hit a new best time. Also, I am hoping to win districts again and be three for three.” Although her goals are mostly individual, Gustaff really enjoys being a part of the team. She says, “The community you create on a swim team is really like no other sport. Even though it is an individual based sport the team provides an excellent support system.” Gustaff, along with her fellow senior captains Gianna La Fond and Alana Penoyer, will look to put an early 102-54 loss to West Salem behind them and continue to search for success this season. 

Make sure to catch them at their next meet on Dec. 15 when they compete against the Saint Mary’s Blues.