The award winning student newspaper of Lake Oswego High School

Lake Views

Lake Views

Lake Views

Polls

Do you have a March Madness bracket?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

School spirit needs a comeback

In the past month, we have had tons of fun events for students to participate in. These include but are not limited to football games, spirit weeks, tailgates as well as other sporting events. While these events provide the opportunity to engage in the school’s community, many students seem to not take the opportunity for participation. The events put on are not only fun but encourage students to get involved. 

So Lakers, what is going on with the lack of participation? As a whole, many students have opted to not participate in spirit week specifically. Our community does not show our support and excitement for events. On days where spirit is optional, many do not choose to engage because they are self conscious or feel as though they will stick out. If we all participate, no one will be the odd one out because we can all have the opportunity to display our spirit. We need to leave out egos at the end and listen to our ASB when they tell us what the theme of the day is. When choosing whether or not to participate, think about what the purpose behind the spirit is. While it may only be to get students involved some other days such as the red out encourage the support of football coach Jeff Young who coined the term “LO 48.” There will also be upcoming days such as pink out to rally behind those affected by breast cancer.  I think that our school community would benefit highly if we all choose to participate and be a part of something bigger than ourselves, and while you’re at it, encourage your friends to do so as well.