LOHS swim sends 10 to state

The LOHS swim team performed admirably at the Three Rivers League District Meet. JV swam at the LOSD pool on Thursday, Feb. 13, with the team of Senior, Ryan Miller; Junior, Emiliano Duran; and Sophomores, Lincoln Buckner and David Morgan, taking first place in the 200 medley relay. On the girls’ side of the same event, the team of seniors, Munisa Adams, Penelope Spurr and Andrea Yang; and sophomore Tesla Humphreys, finished in second. Stellar individual performances included a first-place win for sophomore Timothy Lamb in the 200 freestyle and junior Oscar Shi’s second place in the 50 butterfly.

Varsity swimmers traveled to Mt. Hood Community College to compete, with prelims occurring on Friday and finals/relays taking place on Saturday. Senior Michael Bell noted, “It’s very competitive among the boys, [which] pushes us to try harder.” The Boys seized first place in the 200 freestyle relay.

Freshman Dylan Gustaff took first place in the 200 individual medley, paired with second place in both the 200/500 freestyles for freshman Jonathan Bell.

Despite tough competition, the girls took fourth in the 400 freestyle relay. Senior Haily Oldham, a varsity captain, expressed, “I’m really proud of the girls for racing their hardest each meet.”

This selection of top placements have topped off a great swim season. Ten swimmers —Michael Bell (12), Haily Oldham (12), Elizabeth Bell (11), Olivia Anderson (10), James Kang (10), Dohyun Kim (10), Steven Peng (10), Jonathan Bell (9), Dylan Gustaff (9), and William Thistlethwaite (9)— will represent the Lakers at state.