Boys lacrosse sprints toward playoffs

Owen Alles, Sports Editor

Lake Oswego Boys Lacrosse 2023 campaign is off and running and after playing an extremely rigorous schedule, the Lakers have emerged on the other side even stronger. The Lakers currently sit at 6-6 and are 2-1 in Three Rivers League play where they rank third, behind only West Linn and Lakeridge. They have a few signature wins under their belts including a 13-7 win over Tahoma High School from Tahoma, Washington, a 15-13 nailbiter over Sherwood, and a 13-0 drubbing of league rival Tualatin. 

The mentality of the Lakers has not wavered since the beginning of the season and the team chemistry is stronger than ever. Junior Midfielder Travis Weischadle says, “We are learning more and more about who we are as a team and what it takes to get where we want to be,” later adding that, “Our team has a whole lot of potential and the best is yet to come.” Senior Alex Kemalyan shared this sentiment saying, “I think the season has gone pretty well so far, despite some tough losses.” The Lakers refuse to quit and that’s why this team contends deep into the playoffs year in and year out. Weischdale says, “My favorite part of playing is the time we spend together on and off of the field,” a sign of a strong bond between teammates. 

As the Lakers come down the stretch of the regular season, five of their remaining seven games are at home, and they will be provided with a golden chance to improve their record and playoff positioning. Notable games include a clash with Clackamas on Friday, April 28 and the Battle for the Lake at home against Lakeridge on Friday, May 12. As the Lakers continue to make their push toward the postseason, keep watch on them, as they are a sneaky threat to make another deep playoff run. As Kemalyan says is his favorite part about the program, “LO lacrosse is always a playoff contender.” Don’t expect that to change this year.