The award winning student newspaper of Lake Oswego High School

Lake Views

Lake Views

Lake Views

Polls

Do you have a March Madness bracket?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

New student job opportunity opens at LOHS

This year, LOHS is offering a new note taking job for students that pays $20.80 per hour. This opportunity is currently only available for juniors and seniors, and provides a variety of options for students to choose from deciding what time, what class and what period they want to take notes for. This new student job is being implemented in order to combat the school’s shortage of Educational Assistants (EA). With students now taking notes for those who may need them, the EAs are able to spend their time more efficiently instead of sitting in a class taking notes.

Sadie Gardner, a senior at LOHS, is taking notes for Chris Hubley’s A2 algebra class. “I heard about it from Mrs. Colyer in the email she sent out to all of the students,” she said. “For me, as a senior, I think it’s worth the time because I have basically all of my credits. Instead of taking a study hall or maybe an early release, I get to interact with students and be in school which I like.” The position is not only paid, but also gives elective credit to students looking for a class to take other than study hall. 

Junior Malika Saha talked about the application process, saying, “I think it was easy, but it was just a little bit confusing at first. I didn’t really know how to apply, but I got help from Mrs. Colyer.” Gardner stated that, “It took a lot less time than I thought it would.” 

The job is relatively simple and only requires the student to take notes on what the class is learning each day. Some teachers may ask for help with other tasks. Gardner said that in her class, “I answer algebra questions to the best of my abilities. I forgot most of it, but I just walk around the class and if anyone asks I’ll try to help them.” 

In Saha’s world history class, she said, “I lowkey [am a Department Assistant] for Mrs. Foster. Sometimes she needs me to go get something from her mailbox or staple stuff.” 

Students doing the job find it a good use of time and actually enjoy doing it. “I actually really like hanging out with the freshmen,” Gardner said, laughing. “I have some soccer girls that I know, and Mr. Hubley’s super nice. So yeah, it’s really fun.”