House of Representatives elects new Speaker of the House

After the removal of former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, California Republican Kevin McCarthy, on Oct. 3, 2023, the House was finally able to elect Mike Johnson, a Republican from Louisiana. 

Johnson’s successful campaign followed an almost month-long disagreement, including three failed GOP nominees for the position, most notably Jim Jordan’s (R-OH) bid which fell short of the required 217 in three different votes. Rumors of a bipartisan support for Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY), the Minority Leader of the House, briefly circulated before being put to rest after Johnson’s election. 

Johnson is closely linked to former president Donald Trump, as he opposed the certification of President Joe Biden in the 2020 election and was involved in lawsuits aiming to overturn the results.

The Louisiana Republican  is known to be pro-life, pro 2nd amendment, against Transgender care, against LGBTQ+ rights, against extensive foreign military aid to Ukraine, anti-marajuana legalization, pro strict oversight of cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, pro strict immigration policies and an advocate for fossil fuel.

Johnson won in a special 2015 election to the Louisiana House of Representatives where he ran unopposed. He was elected to the United States House of Representatives a year later in 2016, making him the least experienced Speaker in 140 years.

Johnson is known to be a devout Christian, serving as a trustee of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission from 2004-2012. Johnson will need to win another leadership election following the 2024 elections if the Republicans hold the majority.