Lakeridge Drag Fest Cancelled due to threats

Recently, the Lakeridge Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA), a club in the local community, had to reschedule an event they had worked on for a very long time due to threats made on behalf of the event. The event that they had planned would have been a celebration of pride and included Drag Queen Poison Waters. Donations were encouraged and were to be donated to the Trevor Project, an organization that helps  LGBTQIA+ youth with suicidal thoughts and actions. Inez Walker, a member of Lakeridge GSA, spoke about the sad events leading up to the postponement: “About a week before the event, during winter break, the threats became more serious, and it was brought to the attention of the student leaders of GSA. It came from a multitude of sources, and we did not feel comfortable putting on the event as it was.” 

Originally set for Jan. 7, 2024 in the Lakeridge High School auditorium, the threats made it difficult for those working on the project to ensure a peaceful event. Walker stated, “The safety and security of everyone in attendance is incredibly important to us, and with only a week before the event, there was not enough time to get the necessary security for a possible protest.”

The Oswego DragFest is put on to celebrate drag culture and the LGBTQIA+ community. “It is a space for those who identify with this community to come together and know that they are loved and appreciated, and it is also a place to learn about this culture to those who it may be unfamiliar to. We encourage all people, regardless of whether you identify as part of the LGBTQ community, to come,” Walker said. The event will happen even after push back through the resilience of Lakeridge GSA and the administration. 

The Lakeridge administration, along with the students, have been working on rescheduling this event and ensuring everyone’s safety while doing so. Due to the threats, they have to slightly reform the event and are working on dates in early spring, Walker said. To help contribute to a smooth sailing event, a donation can be made to the GSA in direct support of the Oswego Dragfest. To help the issue at large, a donation can also be made to the Trevor Project to help LGBTQIA+ youth.