The LOHS Green Team Pioneers For Localized Sustainability

This past semester, the Green Team has been especially vigorous, presented through their various ivy pulls and overgrowth cut-downs every few weeks. The club aims to rid the school of invasive ivy and weed species, specifically in areas around the school which have been particularly overtaken by vegetation. Through effective communication and the utilization of specialized equipment made specifically for invasive vegetation removal, Green Team has been successful in clearing multiple areas of our campus.

A clear example of the team’s efforts can be found on the pathway leading down towards our school’s lower tennis courts and baseball field. What used to be an area of thorny overgrowth and continuous car scratching is now cleared for the benefit and beautification of our community. The Green Team not only pioneers the removal of invasive plant species, but also participates in the replanting of vegetation that may be more beneficial for the environment. 

Luke Armstrong, LOHS senior, stated “I’m really impressed with the work that the Green Team has done. I really noticed it when I was walking down to the lower tennis courts. The pathway used to be covered in ivy and all these plants, but now it’s completely clear and that’s great!” 

One of the organization’s more recent contributions to our community can be found in their collaboration with Love15, a student-led project aiming to collect abandoned sports equipment and repurpose sports balls to be reused as dog toys. As of now, the Green Team and Love15 have collected a total of 1,322 balls. This week they also held a hands-on support seminar where students learned to create dog toys with some of the foraged equipment. During the sports equipment collection process, both organizations were able to search and clear over 80 percent of local Lake Oswego schools and recreational parks. The Love15 instagram account as of now has also reached over 1000 accounts on instagram. 

Augustine Do, LOHS senior and member of Green Team said “You know, I think that the Green Team not only is a good outside school activity, given that you’re helping the community and creating a greener academic environment, but is also a good extracurricular for college admissions.”

Zachary Hayes, communications director of Green Team states that “Our mission is to promote sustainability and environmental consciousness in Lake Oswego High School through educational programs, hands-on events, and activism.”