FlexiSched off to a promising start

hool introduced FlexiSched to the student body. While I initially presumed it would end up being another over-complicated and unnecessary piece of technology we’d all give up on, it has, to my great surprise, worked out well.

I think the reason that FlexiSched has worked so seamlessly is that it isn’t that big of a change. Despite the way it has been discussed and taught, it’s only a change to the way support seminar is scheduled. It doesn’t really interfere with day to day affairs. The sign up process is quick and clean.

However, there are still some problems to be ironed out. First and foremost, I wish there were more general options for students. I think it would help if teachers would be clearer about whether or not their classes are open for any students, or if it is intended for students who need to meet with them or are part of a group that meets in their room. In addition, there should be more rooms that are just study halls. One of the better things about support seminar last year was that you could just stay in your A1 or B5 class and do work or just chill for half an hour. It gave students time to unwind or get some work done. It now seems that most classes are geared towards specific makeup work or teacher contact time, which, while great, also makes it harder to find somewhere to go if you don’t need to meet with a teacher.

Most of these issues are inevitable when scheduling has more independence, and I assume many of these issues will be ironed out in the future. Overall, the transition into FlexiSched has been surprisingly smooth.