LOHS launches a new farming class

Starting this year, LOHS got a brand new elective with the School To Farm Program.  This class, started by LOHS science teacher Rachel Popp, was meant to teach students valuable life skills about the food that goes on their plates and where it comes from. The program was meant to teach students all about the process of growing their own food and how to start a career in farming by using the brand new greenhouse and outdoor garden. The class also helps students get a deeper understanding of food production and the economics, transportation and marketing of food.

“The class was getting started at both LO and Lakeridge and I really wanted to teach it so it has been in process for the last year or so. The class is so much fun, we are outside every day and getting our hands in the soil. I love plants and gardening so it’s great to get to share this with like minded students.” said Popp. The class originated at Lakeridge High School last year and came to LOHS this year. Popp thought that this course would be a great opportunity for students to learn more about the production of food by letting them grow their own. With the brand new greenhouse and outdoor classroom as well as the outdoor gardens, students would be able to be more involved with the foods they consume.

The class would also be focusing on the financial aspects of farming and transportation of foods by going on field trips to saturday markets in the LO community. The class would also be teaching students about how to make money out of farming by showing them how farmers sell their produce at markets and by selling to nearby stores.

The greenhouse and outdoor garden would give students an opportunity to get their hands dirty in the soil and do something they’ll never forget. The school to farm program was an amazing opportunity to help LOHS students be hands-on with the food they eat, and teach them valuable life skills for the future.