Yearbook works hard despite smaller class

The yearbook that comes at the end of the school year was produced by a group of students in the publication lab during period A4.. Ever since online schooling with COVID, the yearbook class size numbers have fallen down significantly compared to the years before online school. This had taken a toll on the production of the book, as the number of staffers had dwindled.

In the past years before COVID, yearbook had been a class that stayed steady in numbers of staffers. This year though, is a particularly small group of staffers. According to design editor and senior Rami Kim, even though the class lacks quantity, the quality of work was the more important aspect. “We have a really dedicated and talented group of staffers who are producing high quality work for our book. I would much rather have that group of people that come to class with creativity and dedication as opposed to lots of staffers that don’t necessarily care about what they’re doing.” 

Community is one aspect that editor-in-chief and senior Lyra Johnson described to be more prominent in yearbook than any other class; “It’s just so much fun. We’re such a good community because we all rely on each other to create a beautiful book, and we get so much support from the admin in the building.” 

While the numbers were small in the class, design editor and senior Kea Cummings said, “we have a pretty strong group of people this year. So I think we’ll pull through and be a strong group and a community, which at the end of the day, is what yearbook is all about.” 

For many staffers, a yearbook provides real world experience in aspects of design, writing and deadlines. Deadlines make up a large portion of the yearbook, and the number of deadlines have helped staffers to build stills that help them work efficiently.

“This class is a great resource for people who are thinking about going into job fields with design or journalism. We also work on deadlines so it gives you the real life experience of working on a strict deadlines schedule,” said Johnson.

Although the yearbook class is short staffed this year, Kim hopes that “this year, we can create unique designs and cover a lot of new and unique things that haven’t been in the book before. I have a firm belief that even though we’re short staffed, we’re going to have an amazing book this year.”