The award winning student newspaper of Lake Oswego High School

Lake Views

Lake Views

Lake Views

Polls

Do you have a March Madness bracket?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

AASU prepares to host annual Cultural Festival

The Asian American Student Union (AASU) is a busy crew and this time of year they have multiple exciting events happening. To start off an exciting season of AASU festivities, the group held a Holi celebration last week. Holi is an Indian festival of colors tha tcelebrates love and spring. While the roots of the celebration are Hindu, over time it has strayed from its religious roots into something that anyone who loves color can celebrate. 

“In India it’s a bigger celebration that lasts all day. There’s watercolors and powdered colors that they throw for the whole day, ” said junior AASU co-president Malika Saha, “Ours will only be for two hours but we’ll have food, drinks, music and lots of colors.” 

Another event to add to your calendar is the annual Asian Cultural Festival. This year, similar to the last few years, there will be food, entertainment and local vendors.

Admission to the festival is completely free, but the performances cost $5. “We’re trying to get a diverse set of performances this year. We will have groups from Thailand, Indonesia and Japan. We also wanted to get different types of performing, whether that be drumming, dancing or other instruments,” said junior co-president Joni Delman. There will be a total of eight groups performing. 

“Similar to the performances, we’re really trying to get a diverse set of foods this year. So we’ll be asking previous donors but also expanding to new places. Monster tea opened this year so we’re going to ask them, and we’re also going to get some more Middle Eastern food and maybe Vietnamese or Filipino food,” said co-president junior Ophelia Lieu. 

AASU wants this year to be the best Asian Cultural Festival yet. They will be putting up more decorations than the last few years and there will be more games. Make sure to show up to the Asian Cultural Festival on April 20 from 1 to 8 p.m.