The award winning student newspaper of Lake Oswego High School

Lake Views

Lake Views

Lake Views

Polls

Do you have a March Madness bracket?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Biden Cancels Student Debt

In a move aimed at providing relief to those struggling and addressing the ongoing student debt crisis, President Joe Biden has taken action by approving the forgiveness of $1.2 billion in student loans for those that have spent 20 or more years in repayment and those still paying after 120 payments working full time for federal, state, Tribal, or local government, the military, or a qualifying non-profit. This significant announcement reflects the administration’s commitment to easing the financial burden on Americans and having a more equitable system. 

The decision to waive such a substantial amount of student debt comes from the increasing calls for improvements in higher education funding. During a press conference, Biden emphasized the administration’s dedication to supporting those facing financial issues due to their educational loans. 

“The weight of student debt should not hinder anyone from pursuing their dreams or accessing their opportunities. Today, we take a meaningful step towards creating a more accessible education system,” Biden declared at a press conference in California about canceling student debt. 

The $1.2 billion forgiveness plan is expected to impact a large number of borrowers, providing much-needed relief to those facing the money hardships worsened by student loans. This move is part of the bigger strategy to encourage economic recovery by providing relief from debt repayment. 

While critics raise concerns about the financial impact of such widespread forgiveness of the debt, supporters argue that it will have positive effects throughout the economy. By introducing financial ease into households concerned by student debt these people may be able to now start businesses or pursue further education. Biden‘s decision also lines up with the administration’s vision for educational reform, including efforts to make higher education more affordable for future generations.