LOHS goes green with new solar flower

Schools around the nation are increasingly investing in more energy efficient solar panel systems to power buildings. As of 2022, around 8400 schools in America have installed solar installations. If you have taken a walk around the back of our school this year, surely you have noticed the large, flower-like structure that sits outside the greenhouse, resembling a much more visually appealing solar panel.

Smartflower is a solar robot that doubles as both an art sculpture and an energy system. The flower was invented in Vienna, Austria, in 2014, and the company is currently owned by James Gorden.  It generates approximately 6,500 kilowatt-hours per year. Compared to regular rectangular solar panels, the smartflower generates up to 40 percent more energy. However, the sculptures are extremely expensive. The system costs as much as four times more than an average rectangular solar installation. A common question that has arisen around the decision to purchase the Smartflower is why choose it over regular rooftop solar panels. If the generic rectangular installations are cheaper for more products, then why choose the Smartflower? 

Although the purpose of regular solar panels and the smartflower are the same, there are still some defining characteristics that set the two apart. Regular solar panels are commonly placed on building rooftops. A standard panel is structured as a 6×10 grid, measuring around 3.25 feet by 3.25 feet. When the sun shines onto a panel from the rooftop, sunlight energy is absorbed by PV cells – photovoltaic cells. PV cells are the nonchemical devices that convert sunlight into electricity. The PV cells create electrical charges that move in response to an external electric field and cause energy flow. The panels work to power electricity in buildings. The cost of rectangular solar panels varies based on the amount of energy needed to power a particular building. A typical panel is rated at 380-400 watts and costs between $200 and $315. In addition to other expenses, including installation, shipping and permits, a rooftop system will cost around $1000 per panel. 

The solarflower creates energy the same way, by converting PV waves into electricity, however, the difference is that they are ground mounted. They stand around 16 feet tall with a total of 12 panels, or “petals” installed. This specified installation has some extra benefits, including dual axis tracking capabilities and natural cooling ventilation. The cooling effect can be more energy efficient, especially if heat is not required. It can also be used to access higher levels of daylight, as it is lower to the ground. Another plus to the flower is that the model is self cleaning. The sculpture contains brushes on the underside of its panels that aids in cleaning twice a day. One controversial aspect of the solar flower is its expensive price tag. The Baseline cost of the product is around $40 thousand, not including shipping and installation. An estimation of the total of shipping and installation is around $3000-$7000. So how did administrators justify spending the extra four times as much in comparison to conventional rooftop solar panels?

Dave Krueger, the project manager for the Lake Oswego School District explained how a large factor in purchasing the flower was for learning purposes. Just outside an outdoor classroom, the flower is not only meant for electricity purposes, but to also educate students about solar energy. “It was meant to be used as a teaching tool, and we wanted it to look very cool,” Krueger said. Krueger also talked about how the flower is used, particularly addressing its role at LOHS. Krueger said, “It’s feeding back into the main distribution gear on the end of the building. There is an electrical room on the east side of the building, and it feeds electricity there that gets distributed out to the rest of the building.” Krueger also explained how the flower does not generate enough electricity throughout the entire building, but the energy that it does create gets distributed along with the other source of energy production at the school.