Choir’s first concert was a success

Lainey Chi, Features Editor

On Oct. 23, all the Laker choirs (Treble, Bel Canto, Laker, A Capella and Windjammers) performed for their annual Fall Concert with the theme of “Songs of Hope.” The concert featured songs such as “In the Still of the Nite” by the Five Satins, “Route 66” by the King Cole Trio and “Smile” by Charlie Chaplin. In addition, the choirs also incorporated songs from various other cultures like “Bashana Haba’ah” (a Hebrew song), “Fillimiooriay” (Irish American folk song) and “Wangol” (traditional Haitian). In addition, this was new choir teacher Tara Bamford’s first concert at the school. 

“I believe that we tried to incorporate a large variety of songs that really speaks to and experiments with what the students really want to do,” said senior Ryan Miller. “It’s hard for any teacher coming into a new choral program because they don’t know who their students are and what they need to sing. Also it’s just a lot of fun to learn about different cultures backgrounds through songs for everyone!”

“It is extremely difficult to have an entire repertoire of, like, 15 pieces be super engaging at a choir concert. But literally everyone I have talked to, including myself, had said that almost all of the songs performed across the choirs were are super fun and interesting to listen to! That’s something that I have never heard in my four years in our choir program,” Miller elaborated.

In case you happened to miss this concert, make sure to check out the school play “Chicago” next week and the winter concert on Dec. 19 from 7-9 p.m. Not only is it a great opportunity to support the arts programs at LOHS, but it’s a wonderful experience to watch your fellow peers perform.

“There is honestly so much to look forward to,” said Miller. “People are becoming super engaged in all parts of our class, we have a super strong and experienced director, and we have a lot of talented singers. Through the coming years, I can honestly see our program growing into a fun place to enter an area of musical expression at LOHS.”