Laker girls water polo enters a rebuilding season

Fall sports have officially begun, and the Laker girls water polo team is struggling to stay afloat with a current record of 8-0-9.  League season has just begun, and so far things are not going in the Lakers’ favor. On Monday Sept. 25, the girls took on Lakeridge and lost 19-7. The following Wednesday, Sept. 27, they took another defeat against Newberg, 13-10. Recently on Monday, Oct. 3, they secured a win against Forest Grove, 18-3. Sophomore captain Delaney Carroll  stated, “the season has been surprisingly good considering we lost a couple of our best players last season.”

Although they may be missing some old players, the returning girls are getting the job done well. The top goal scorers are Noa Ziv with a total of 47 goals, and following is Carroll with 35. Senior goalkeeper Ashleigh Yob is also making great stats with a total of 105 saves this season. The Lakers have set high standards for themselves this season, and have a few collective ambitions. “The goal is to do well if not better in state than we did last year, fourth place, and to improve the skills of our players,” Carroll states. 

The Lakers also value good sportsmanship and respect towards their opponents. They find more success when playing clean, and using their knowledge of the game to play around the opponent to find the goal, instead of using aggression towards the other team. Carroll states, “Coach Scott doesn’t believe in aggressive or dirty playing styles so we try to play it safe in that regard, we also run a lot of drives from the perimeter.” The league season is still young, so stay tuned and go Lakers.