When does Autumn start?

Fall starts on September 1

By Olive Erdmann

Fall starts on Sept. 1. If you don’t believe me, then believe Starbucks; their famous Pumpkin Spice Latte was returned to their locations on Aug. 24. It’s easy to see that the American public is in somewhat of an agreement that it is never too early to get excited for falling leaves, crisp air and pumpkin flavored everything. Who wouldn’t want that cozy feeling of a Halloween blanket on a late night watching fall movies by candlelight? Especially considering the Oregon summers (as well as those across the country) are reaching record breaking high temperatures. What better excuse than to truly embrace fall by the first morning of September. Again, if you can’t take my word for it then ask any store chain in America. Target releases Halloween merchandise as early as late July and Costco releases Halloween essentials by mid-August. If stores are running off supply and demand then who’s to argue that fall items aren’t being purchased before the official Fall Equinox on Sept. 22? Although some people may argue that fall is actually based on an astronomical prediction between Sept. 21 and 24, I argue this: when the word “fall” comes to mind, do you envision the precise moment when the sun passes the celestial equator, or does your mind wander to the smell of pumpkins and cinnamon candles? I think we both know the answer to that question.

Fall starts on September 23

By Emma Wadley

Autumn actually starts on September 23. It’s time we ask the yearly calendar when fall begins, instead of the various sources that indicate random dates. According to Starbucks, the release of the pumpkin spice latte marks the beginning of the fall season, meaning autumn started in August this year. According to many Oregonians within LOHS, the fall season begins when temperatures fall below 50 degrees. Well, in that case, we reached autumn in early September. Can the pumpkin spice latte really be enjoyed in the slamming sun? No, it can’t. Can you wear sweaters and hoodies on a 90 degree day? No, you can’t. We can’t declare the beginning of autumn until our calendars do. Look guys, we need to be more patient! Trust me, I am all for the fall season. There is nothing better than watching a Halloween movie, curled up in a warm blanket with the fireplace on. Nothing quite compares to sweet apple pie and apple cider in the fall. But the best things must be enjoyed on time. Until the leaves turn orange and the air becomes crisp, we can’t pretend that autumn has started. It is just no coincidence that after September 23 arrived, the clouds promptly rolled in and the raindrops finally poured down. We have to wait for the official declaration of autumn to pass to fully reap the benefits of corn mazes and pumpkin patches.