Blazers trade Damian Lillard

On July 1 2023, rumors of Blazers guard Damian Lillard wanting out became a reality as he officially requested a trade from the franchise that drafted him in 2012. He specifically requested to go to the highly reputable Miami Heat, which have won many championships over the past decade led by Head Coach Eric Spoelstra. Although the news came as a shock to many, the lack of additions throughout the NBA trade deadline by Blazer’s General Manager Joe Cronin may have contributed to Lillard’s decision. Lillard has always been extremely loyal to the Trail Blazers through his 11 season span with them, and has shown past frustration with the rise of superteams like the Golden State Warriors. However, there comes a certain point in an NBA player’s career that staying loyal to a team like the Blazers for too long could hinder their ability to put a championship on their resume. This point is where Lillard lies in the view of many NBA fans.

Lillard was officially traded to the Milwaukee Bucks on Sept. 27 in a three team deal also involving the Phoenix Suns. The full details of the trade sent many players from the Blazers to the Suns and also included numerous first round picks. The Bucks received Lillard from the trade while the Blazers added key pieces in Bucks Guard Jrue Holiday and Suns center Deandre Ayton. Holiday was traded just a few days later to the Boston Celtics however, as the Blazers received Celtics Center Robert Williams, Guard Malcolm Brogdon and more first round picks. Along with this a 2029 unprotected Milwaukee first round pick and unprotected Milwaukee swap rights in 2028 and 2030 were awarded to the Blazers. The Suns were also beneficiaries adding Blazer players Nassir Little, Jusuf Nurkić, Keon Johnson and Bucks guard Grayson Allen. 

Looking at the trade as a whole, the Bucks adding Lillard is a powerful move, showing their desire to win a championship in the next few years. The Blazers, on the other hand, are adding young pieces and working on rebuilding their roster hoping to have success long term. This trade has been in the works for a while, and to have it finally get done has to be a relief for both the Blazers and Lillard. Lillard later tweeting out that he would address “the loyal Trailblazer fans and the city of Portland” and is excited for his future with the Bucks.