LOHS football wraps up 2023 season

Football season is officially over as the Lakers fell 34-28 to the Jesuit Crusaders on Friday, Nov 3. Although there was no school on that day, Laker Nation’s support did not go unnoticed. A rainy game at Jesuit High School did not stop the student body from showing up, as all of the stands were filled to cheer on the Lakers.

Starting the game off fast, the Jesuit Crusaders were able to pull away from the Lakers to take a commanding 31-14 lead mid-way through the third quarter. This did not deter the Lakers, however, as touchdowns from sophomore LeMarcus Bell and senior Matt Layne helped propel the Lakers to within three. A later field goal put Jesuit up 34-28 and gave the Lakers one final opportunity to go down and win the game. The drive started off well, but a late interception was the final blow to the Lakers causing the Crusaders to run out the clock and win the game.

When asked about his overall thoughts on the season, senior Nolan Rabb was proud of his team’s effort this year. “Overall I think that we had an awesome season despite a couple road bumps. I think that everyone on the team really liked one another and that made the environment super fun and supportive in practice. Even though we came up short in a couple games against West Linn, Tualatin, Lakeridge and Jesuit I would still consider our season a win.

This game displayed very strong effort from the Lakers and did not discredit the overall successful season they had. A potent record and many fierce wins did not go unnoticed as they contributed to the teams playoff spot, which was no easy task this year. The Lakers will look to have an even stronger season next year with many talented returners that will look to make a huge impact. A difficult way to end the season, but nevertheless, a great effort from the Lakers with many positive takeaways.