Blazers season kicks off

The 2023 season is underway for the Portland Trail Blazers, and it did not go the way Blazer fans had hoped for. On Oct. 25, the Blazers played their opening game against the Los Angeles Clippers and fell 123-111. The Clippers were firing on all cylinders this game, making 16 threes and shooting 47 percent from behind the arc. Strong performances from stars Kawhi Leanord and Paul George definitely contributed to the outcome of the game as the Clippers got a good win to start the season. 

Taking a look at the Blazers, there were not a lot of bright spots in their performance. Poor defense, along with a below expectation game from rookie first round draft pick, Scoot Henderson were key deciding factors in this game. Although it was a frustrating game to watch, it’s important not to dwell on it, as the Blazers are one of the youngest teams in the NBA and there were some positives to take away. A great display of talent from Malcolm Brogdon and Anfernee Simons helped the Blazers chip away at a lead that was up to 30 points late into the third quarter. Robert Williams III also had some key baskets and strong finishes throughout the game. 

As far as this season goes, Blazers fans have a lot to be excited about. Young talent lines the court for this squad with Shadedon Sharpe and Henderson which will make for some very entertaining games. This team will seek leadership from more experienced players like Jerami Grant and Brogdon as they hope to have a successful season. They are slated to play the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday, so tune in and cheer them on!