The LOHS Acapella choir competes at the TRL competition

Claire Rudinsky, Features Editor

The LOHS Acapella choir performed in the Three Rivers League district competition on April 5, placing third out of eight schools. Acapella is the top competing choir at LOHS, and this year, their set includes four songs: “Locus Iste” by Anton Brucker, “Leron Leron,” a Filipino folk song arranged by Saunder Choi, “Ta Na Solbici” by Carmen Manet and “Sure on the Shining Night” by Morten Lauridsen.

“One of the most difficult parts about performing is keeping the same energy throughout the set, but it’s really nice to have a performance where we’re able to show how our hard work paid off,” said senior Nel White. 

“My favorite part about choir is having a community of people that are all working towards the same goal,” said senior Gray Ruffer. 

Windjammers will host their variety show on April 21, 22 and 23 at 7p.m., with tickets costing $12 for adults and $10 for students. The show features a multitude of different performances including large ensembles, small ensembles, acapella, instrumental and dancing. Windjammers is the most selective choir at LOHS, requiring an audition and secondary involvement in Acapella. The entire group will sing seven songs: “Hypotheticals” by Lakestreet Dive, “Hello Goodbye” by the Beatles, “Bills Bills Bills” by Destiny’s Child, “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King, “Radio Gaga” by Queen. In addition, members of Windjammers chose several small ensemble pieces to perfect and perform. 

“One of the most challenging parts is the amount of new songs we’re learning for the variety show, it’s a lot,” said senior Stephanie Ray. “But it’s really rewarding to have it all come together in the end, and feel recognized by our audience.”